Lately I have become a pancake master. After multiple attempts, I have perfected these flawless sweet, fluffy american pancakes, vegan style. I have enjoyed them with maple syrup, soya ice-cream, fruit and berries, and even veggie bacon. Here is the easy recipe for you to follow and enjoy.
- 135g/4¾oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml/4½fl oz almond/rice/soya milk (I use almond)
- 2 tbsp apple sauce or egg replacement
- 2 tbsp melted margarine or olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, caster sugar) into a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg replacement, then add in the melted butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture. Beat until you have a smooth batter. Make sure you beat out any lumps!
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the cooking butter or oil. When it’s melted, add a ladle of batter. It will seem thick but this is how it should be, more than crepes. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste best fresh out the pan.
- Serve with all the extra bits and enjoy fluffy golden goodness.